WHITMAN — One person was treated and released at the scene of a fire at a single-family home on Franklin Street, Saturday, Feb.6. Fire Chief Timothy Grenno said the person’s injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
The home is temporarily uninhabitable due to the fire, smoke and water damage. The residents are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
At approximately 7:51 a.m., Whitman Fire received a report from a resident of a fire at their home at 44 Franklin St., Grenno said. Upon arrival, first responders saw smoke coming from the first and second floor of the two-and-a-half story home. The four residents who were home at the time were able to exit the house safely before first responders arrived.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire, which was contained to the dining room on the first floor. Crews cleared the scene by 9:15 a.m.
The Hanson Fire Department provided mutual aid during the fire. Station coverage was provided by the Halifax and Abington fire departments. Members of the Halifax Fire Department provided medical aid at the scene. National Grid, Whitman Police, and the Whitman wiring and building inspectors assisted on scene as well.
While Whitman Fire responded to the fire, Abington firefighters responded to two additional emergency calls in Whitman.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental and related to an electrical issue.