HANSON — Police have captured two men in connection with a home invasion — one an armed suspect fleeing from a multi-family home around 10:30 a.m. Thursday on Main Street in Hanson, after he allegedly broke in while a woman was home.
She fled the house unharmed, calling 911.
Officers were active in the investigation into the evening, and are still in pursuit of two other suspects, Hanson Police Chief Michael Miksch said during a press conference in the early afternoon following the apprehension of a second suspect.
The second male was captured with help from K-9 officers from the Plymouth County BCI and State Police. He was located in the Indian Head Pond area in the brush when apprehended, Miksch said.
Police have also released a photo of a person of interest from the Hanson incident. Anyone with information on the identity of the individual is asked to call Hanson Police at 781-293-4625. The search for the two additional suspects from the breaking and entering had concluded by 7:30 p.m. Thursday, police wrote on Facebook.
“The investigation remains ongoing but we believe the individuals involved have left the area,” the post read. “We thank you for your assistance during today’s incident.”
Hanson Middle, Maquan Elementary and Indian Head Schools were all notified during the search, and Miksch said Superintendent of Schools Dr. Ruth Gilbert-Whitner was notified, placing the schools under a shelter in place due to the close proximity of the search areas.
“As an overabundance of caution we had officers and state police escort the buses home to make sure that everyone got home safe,” he said.
A nearly two-hour search with numerous K-9 officers, environmental police, and several local and state agencies, including the State Police Air Wing, were brought to secure the large acreage of bogs, water, and wooded trails behind the home on Main Street where the suspects allegedly fled.
Following a length of time with no additional sightings, officers believe the two remaining suspects may have fled in a waiting car. Evidence was being processed and recovered at the scene and a safe was found in the backyard of the house, said Miksch.
Home breaks were reported in Pembroke earlier on Thursday, which were prior to the Hanson incident. Witness statements and surveillance video in the area will hopefully help officers put together information to see if the crimes were related, Miksch said.
Andrew Jorge, 31, of Vermont Ave., Brockton was charged with breaking and entering in the daytime while armed, armed home invasion, possession of burglarious instruments, and possession of a firearm. He is being held on $75,0000 cash bail for arraignment in Plymouth District Court on Friday.
Also taken into custody was Anthony Marcelino, 22, of Warren Ave., Brockton, taken into custody by Hanson Police officer Meegan, after being located by a Plymouth County Sheriff’s Department K-9 Unit. Marcelino is charged with breaking and entering in the daytime while armed, armed home invasion, possession of burglarious instruments, and larceny. He was being held on $100,000 cash bail for arraignment in Plymouth District Court on Friday.
A witness stated possibly seeing a person in a covered tent area, near the First Baptist Church but officers cleared the scene and no other suspects were taken in custody.
In an unrelated incident on Monponsett Street Hanson and State Police officers took a male into custody during the search for the original suspects. He had an outstanding warrant, but was reportedly not related to the original home invasion incident, said Miksch.