After 18 years of public service, School Committee Chairman Bob Hayes is sitting this one out.
Hayes opted against taking out nomination papers for the May 15 Annual Town Election in Hanson. Michelle Bourgelas and Daniel Strautman, meanwhile are running for seats on the School Committee representing Hanson.
Whitman, too, is seeing competition for School Committee seats on May 15 as incumbent Vice Chairman Christopher Scriven and member Fred Small will appear on the ballot with William Haran of 61 Meadow Lane and Heather Clough of 154 Beulah St.
For Hayes, it’s simply time to do something else.
“Eighteen years is a long time and it’s time for me to move on,” Hayes said Tuesday, adding he has no plans at the current time to stay involved in town politics. “I’m not ruling out anything in the future, but currently, no. … I have no regrets and I encourage people to volunteer for elective offices.”
He added that he appreciated the support he has received from Hanson voters over the years, and wishes the school district great things in the future.
“I’ve just been there a long, long time,” he said. “Am I going to miss it? Probably.”
There is also competition for Selectmen seats as Hanson Selectman Matt Dyer will appear on the ballot along with Joseph Weeks and Whitman Selectman Vice Chairman Daniel Salvucci will face off against Finance Committee member Rosemary Connolly.
Whitman voters are also being asked to select two Library Trustees from three candidates: Katherine Getchell, incumbent Michael Ganshirt and Wendy Cope. Two candidates are vying for a seat on the Whitman Housing Authority for a five-year term: Theresa Lynskey and Kimberly Blanchard-Bobulis.
Ballot lineups are as follows:
• Selectman: Joseph Weeks and Matthew Dyer
• Assessor: Kathleen Keefe
• Library Trustee: Linda Wall and Corinne Cafardo
•Board of Health: Arlene Dias
• Constable: Steven Lyons
• Water Commissioner: Denis O’Connell and William Garvey
• WHRSD: Michelle Bourgelas and Daniel Strautman
• Housing Authority: Daniel Pardo
• Planning Board: Joseph Campbell
• Selectman: Daniel Salvucci and Rosemary Connolly
• Assessor: Heidi Hosmer
• Library Trustee (one year): Margaret McEwan
• Library Trustee (five years): Katherine Getchell, Michael Ganshirt, Wendy Cope
• Board of Health (three years): Danielle Clancy
• Board of Health (one year): Brandon Griffin
• WHRSD: William Haran, Fred Small, Christopher Scriven, Heather Cope
• Housing Authority: Theresa Lynskey; Kimerly Blanchard-Bobulis
• Town Clerk: Dawn Varley
• Planning Board (five years): Elaine Bergeron, Brandon Griffin, Wayne Andrews
• Department of Public Works Commissioner (three years): No candidates